- Scientific Linux 6.4 (2013-03-28)
- Scientific Linux 6.3 (2012-08-08)
- Scientific Linux 6.2 (2012-02-15)
- Scientific Linux 6.1 (2011-07-28)
- Scientific Linux 6.0 (2011-03-03)
Scientific Linux 6.4 (2013-03-28)
The OpenAFS kernel module package has changed – with SL 6.0 we started packaging the OpenAFS client’s kernel module according to the guidelines from TUV’s Driver Update Program.
Due to unanticipated changes with the 6.3 kernel, we’ve had to revisit the process. With the 6.4 release, we modified the packaging to provide a dedicated build of the module for each minor SL release, instead of one kernel module (kmod) for all SL6 kernels.
Since the EL kernel ABI is supposed to be kept stable within a minor release, this should avoid the problems some SL users experienced.
2013-04-20 – Scientific Linux 6.4 “Live”
Availability of live CD and DVD images are available for 32-bit and 64-bit systems: Scientific Linux 6.4 LiveCD, LiveMiniCD and LiveDVD and come with window managers:
- LiveMiniCD – IceWM,
- LiveCD – GNOME,
- LiveDVD – GNOME, KDE, IceWM.
Software was added from RPMForge, EPEL and ELRepo to include additional file system support (NTFS, ReiserFS), secure network connection (OpenVPN, VPNC, PPTP), file system tools (dd_rescue, ddrescue, GParted, gDisk), and better multimedia support (GStreamer, FFmpeg, Flash plugin).
Linux kernel 2.6.32, X.Org Server 1.13.0, GNOME 2.28, Firefox 17.0.5, IceWM 1.2.37, LibreOffice 3.4.5, KDE 4.3.4.
Scientific Linux 6.3 (2012-08-08)
- OpenAFS updated to version 1.6.1;
- yum-conf-rpmfusion has been added by popular request, end users must verify their own eligibility and license compliance before use;
- yum-conf-sl6x – updated GPG key list, CERN’s key is now listed here too;
- xorg-x11-server changed to remove TUV’s support URL;
- sl-bookmarks now includes links to useful non-SL provided resources;
- revisor support has been added for the upstream changes in Anaconda; sl-revisor-configs – the Kickstart files provided have been renamed for simplicity.
2012-08-27 – Scientific Linux 6.3 “Live”
- Scientific Linux 6.3 LiveCD, LiveMiniCD and LiveDVD are available in 32-bit and 64-bit variants and come with following window managers: LiveMiniCD – IceWM; LiveCD – GNOME; LiveDVD – GNOME, KDE, IceWM.
- Software was added from rpmforge, epel and elrepo (see EXTRA SOFTWARE) to include additional file system support (NTFS, ReiserFS), secure network connection (OpenVPN, VPNC, PPTP), file system tools (dd_rescue, ddrescue, GParted, gDisk), and better multimedia support (FFmpeg, Flash).
- Changes since 6.2: add boot parameter eject which ejects CD/DVD at shutdown.
Scientific Linux 6.2 (2012-02-15)
Differences from 6.1:
- Anaconda – added the Scientific Linux install classes, DVD installs do not ask for the network unless needed;
- OpenAFS updated to version 1.6.0, this packages includes a patch to disable NAT pings to avoid a race condition;
- livecd-tools and liveusb-creator updated from upstream to version 13.4;
- sl-release – removed Troy Dawson’s GPG key, added CERN’s GPG, added EULA;
- yum-autoupdate has had PRERUN and POSTRUN scripts added for more flexibility;
- the yum-conf-* packages now require yum-fastestmirror by popular request.
2012-02-17 – Scientific Linux 6.2 “Live”
Scientific Linux 6.2 live CD, live mini CD and live DVD are available for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures and come with following desktop or window managers:
- live mini CD – IceWM, live CD – GNOME, live DVD – GNOME, KDE, IceWM.
- Changes since 6.1 Live:
- software based on Scientific Linux 6.2;
- kmod-ndiswrapper removed;
- system-config-printer added;
- gDisk added;
- Flash plugin installer by default.
Linux kernel 2.6.32, X.Org Server 1.7.7, IceWM 1.2.37, GNOME 2.28, Firefox 3.6.26, Thunderbird 3.1.18, OpenOffice.org 3.2.1, KDE 4.3.4.
Scientific Linux 6.1 (2011-07-28)
Some of the changes since 6.0 include:
- A whole new graphical theme called ‘Edge Of Space’;
- we pulled the ‘fastbugs’ and ‘testing’ repositories out of the repository file that comes with sl-release, they are now in their own RPM called yum-conf-sl-other.
- Added several packages to Scientific Linux that are not found anywhere on the Enterprise releases:
- IceWM – a fast and small X11 window manager;
- OpenAFS – a distributed file system.
Scientific Linux 6.0 (2011-03-03)
Distribution Scientific Linux 6.0 built from source packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, but with extra software for use in academic environments, has been released for both the i386 and x86_64 architectures.
Some of the changes and features in this release include:
- The final release only has the same packages that were originally released by upstream vendor, all security and bug-fix errata are in their respective repositories;
- we have reduced the number of extra packages we put in Scientific Linux 6; there is no ‘contrib’ repository;
- we have added several packages to Scientific Linux that are not found anywhere in the upstream release, including IceWM, OpenAFS, Revisor, Live USB Creator, YUM auto-update, external YUM repositories.
2011-03-09 – Scientific Linux 6.0 “Live”
Live media Scientific Linux 6.0 “Live” edition, built from the Red Hat-based Scientific Linux 6.0, available for the 32-bit and 64-bit platforms and come with following window managers:
- LiveMiniCD – IceWM;
- LiveCD – GNOME and IceWM;
- LiveDVD – GNOME, KDE and
Software was added from RPMforge, EPEL and ELRepo to include additional file system support (NTFS, ReiserFS), more secure network connection (OpenVPN, VPNC, PPTP), and several rescue and file system tools (TestDisk, dd_rescue, ddrescue, GParted).
For SL6 the way how the live CD was built has completely changed; it is now based on Fedora LiveCD Tools. If you install the live CD to hard drive, the installation of the live image is now done by Anaconda, similar to the normal SL6 installation.